Are there foot-pedal-to-hand-control conversion kits for my lawn tractor or at least design plans for “homemade” foot-to-hand control conversion?

  1. A hand control can be made by attaching a bent rod by means of a bracket to the foot pedal for the clutch, brake, or hydrostat transmission. The rod can be clamped onto the foot pedal and bent to come up to a convenient location for hand operation. An article with color pictures and evaluation of different designs of bent-rod hand controls can be found at by typing "Evaluation of Mechanical Tractor Pedal Extensions" in the with-the-exact-phrase search window, click "GO" then "download pdf."
  2. John Deere used to make—but no longer offers—a conversion kit (part no. BM19690) for some of its models. If you would happen to find such a kit or even its installation instructions, you might be able to modify it for other makes or models. Check with your local dealer.
  3. A few companies fabricate custom-manufactured hand controls for lawn tractors or perhaps provide design plans that you or a local machinist could use to make the conversion. Three such companies are Life Essentials of Brookston, IN (765-742-6707 or; John Hancock of Lexington, KY (859-227-7099), and Northend Mobility of Welland, Ontario (905-735-5552 or
  4. Two companies make joystick controls for cars and trucks that could possibly be adapted for lawn tractors—Electronic Mobility Controls ( and Creative Controls (
  5. The Breaking New Ground (BNG) Resource Center at Purdue University has two entries in its Plowshares Technical Reports series that that you might find beneficial—"Hand Controls for Agricultural Equipment" (Plowshare #2) and "Farming with a Lower Extremity Amputation" (Plowshare #24). They can be viewed and downloaded from the Center's Web site—
  6. BNG also developed the "Toolbox," which is a CD-ROM and on-line catalog of commercial and farmer-modified equipment and assistive devices for farming with a disability. It includes fact sheets that show tractor, utility vehicle, and lawn tractor foot-to-hand control modifications. Your county Extension office and local high school agricultural education teacher should have a copy of the CD to view (perhaps borrow), or you can access it (in pdf format) on its Web site–
  7. The University of Wisconsin Extension AgrAbility Web site carries an article on a homemade hand-operated clutch lever that you might find helpful. Go to and click on "Assistive Technology Resources," then on "Plans for Equipment Modifications."